Wednesday 24 September 2014

Kendrick Lamar Talks ‘i’ Cover Art & Isley Brothers Sample, Hopes to Release Album Before 2015

By Ezra Marcus
Today Kendrick Lamar released “i,”an upbeat, bubbling track based on live instrumentation and a rousing Isley Brothers sample — and to follow it all up, he talked this morning he talked to Carson Daly on 97.1 AMP (a CBS Radio station) about the song’s message, album art and that sample, plus everything else on his mind.
When I first started doing music, I did a lot for myself, just for my enjoyment, but then I started doing these shows and I start seeing these kids saying my song saved their lives [because] they were going to commit suicide,” he told AMP. “It got a little bit deeper than me, you know?”
Related: Kendrick Lamar Loves Himself on New Song ‘i': Listen

He also explained the message of the song’s striking cover art: “Where I’m from, there’s a lot of gang culture and things like that, so instead of throwing on up gang signs, which we used to, I put a Blood and I put a Crip together and we’re throwing up hearts.”
The song wouldn’t be what it is without the Isley Brothers record “That Lady”; how did Kendrick acquire the rights to sample something so iconic?

No comments:

Post a Comment